The new ZoomText Camera feature allows you to use any high-definition (HD) webcam to view and magnify printed items and other objects right on your computer screen—including bills, magazines, photographs, medicine labels, craft items and more.
Simple controls allow you to quickly zoom in and out, choose between full and high contrast colors, and switch between Full and Split screen views where you can see the camera image and your Windows desktop at the same time. And by utilizing affordable and readily available HD webcams costing well under $100, the ZoomText Camera provides a low-cost and portable alternative to conventional CCTVs.
Key benefits and advantages
- Lightweight and compact
- Easily fits in your backpack or laptop bag
- Requires no AC power source (USB powered) - can be used with laptops even when you’re away from wall power
HD video quality
- Magnified print and graphics are impressively clear and easy to read
Full-featured (has all essential CCTV features)
- Wide range of zoom levels
- Full screen and split-screen viewing
- Full color and high contrast two-color modes
ZoomText Camera User Interface
Camera image displays right on your computer screen
- Conveniently in view when you need it
- Instantly toggle camera on and off
- No need for second screen
- Saves space on your desktop
Accommodates viewing all shapes and sizes of objects
- Can be placed over virtually any type of object
- Can be used to view items that won’t fit under a desktop CCTV (e.g. large boxes and consumer products)
- Camera and stand come already set up for your convenience - just plug in and go!
Camera Settings Dialog
How does the ZoomText Camera image quality compare to conventional CCTVs?
- When properly configured the ZoomText Camera feature displays impressive image quality that rivals many conventional CCTVs—even in low light conditions. A properly configured setup includes the following:
- Using an HD webcam with 1080p resolution
- Positioning the camera lens approximately 4 inches from the object
- Moderate even lighting over the object
Does the ZoomText Camera feature require a special camera?
- No. ZoomText Camera works with standard HD webcams that are readily available from most consumer electronics retailers (e.g. Best Buy, Staples).
What HD webcams do you recommend?
- While any HD webcam (1080p or 720p) will work, Ai Squared is currently recommending any HD webcam from Logitech or Microsoft, including the Logitech c910 and c615, and the Microsoft LifeCam Studio. These recommendations will likely change as new webcams are introduced.
- Ai Squared’s current favorite is the Logitech c615 for the following reasons:
- Affordably priced: $79 retail (US)
- 1080p HD resolution
- Autofocus lens that supports positioning as close as 10 centimeters
- Full 360 degree swivel design allows for quick/easy adjustment of camera angle.
- Tripod-ready—contains threaded base that can be attached to a camera stand.
Does the ZoomText Camera feature require special lighting?
- No. The ZoomText Camera feature works very well in a regularly lit room. Special lighting is only necessary when lighting is very low or when circumstances have created uneven lighting in the camera’s view.
Will Ai Squared offer HD webcams for sale?
- Yes. Ai Squared will be reselling the Logitech c615 webcam for $79.
Will Ai Squared offer a camera stand for sale?
- Yes. Ai Squared offers two custom camera stands for sale - one that clamps to the edge of your desk ($109) and one that will sit atop any flat surface ($129). We also have discounted webcam + stand bundles ($179 for the clamp stand; $199 for the base stand; $239 for both stands)